- Hon. members although the Minority Front supports the DORA Second Amendment Bill 2020, the following advice must be seriously noted:
- Covid-19 pandemic effects are being felt now, not only by the already poor but even other income groups who are slipping below the poverty line. Job losses are inevitable with this communicable disease, Hon. members.
- Situationally, the gains made by our government whether in terms of underspending or relaxation on grants must focus on poverty eradication.
- Right now, with a second lockdown looming, food, water, sanitation, clean air, electricity and food are the basic Maslow hierarchy of needs of our people.
- Therefore the MF recommends a budget housed in OTP or DSD to create a Poverty Action Lab, mimicking that of the 2019 Economic Nobel Laurettes Banerjee and Duflo in invest in evidence based projects based on assessments on what impacts the poor and what doesn’t.
- The MF would like to see most of the R 1.4 Billion second adjustment used to eradicate poverty, which is growing daily, especially the R103,5 million to DSD.
- The MF supports the Bill.
- Thank you.
Hon. S. Thakur- Rajbansi
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Wed 25 Nov 2020
Time: 14:00 to 16:00
Word Count: 187 Words