- Hon. Speaker, the Heritage Month theme 2020, “Celebrating South Africa’s Living human treasures”.
- Hon. members we essentially have three types of heritage sites in South Africa, i.e.: cultural, natural and mixed, but Heritage is a much broader topic as it is a deceptively simple idea.
- People heritage in South Africa gives our country its multi-racial or diverse cultures and I believe that the time is rife for us to have a process more than government certificate or plaque trophy recognition for the contribution of our people to the development of South Africa. The halted renaming of existing structures needs debate as new structures, although important for our history; past and present, we cannot deny that we still have praise-singers of Colonialists who want these names retained e.g.: the Chatsworth Township or the Higginson Highway.
- The MF has called for a change of these names. We believe our late leader, Mr A Rajbansi contributed immensely to the development of our communities and we cannot over-look his contribution pre-and post-democracy.
- Hon. Premier due political consideration should be given fairly for our rich Heritage to be inclusive of the contribution of all progressive politicians, across party-lines.
- On another occasion, it would be important for the Hon. MEC of Arts and Culture to speak on these aspects and on the archiving budgetary allocation to preserve our historic heritage for tourism, educational and research purposes.
- The MF celebrated Heritage Month by celebrating NGO’s who contribute to preserving our culture and traditions through the wisdom of seniors.
- Thank you.
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Thu 15 Oct 2020
Time: 09:30 to 13:00
Word Count: 257 Words