- Hon. Speaker, the Minority Front fully endorses the theme of the Interfaith Symposium: “Developing Boys to be Leaders in the Fight Against Gender-Based Violence for the Restoration of Women’s Dignity”.
- Hon. Chair, in your wisdom leading this committee, I welcome your commitment to recognising faith groups beyond the major global faiths.
- For years, I have been concerned about the participation of minority faith groups in the Interfaith Symposium but more needs to be done in terms of being inclusive.
- In this Hon. House itself, many times I hear the mention of only 2 religious scripts but not the mention of the Hindu text, the Bhagavad Gita. Maybe our religious leaders have not done enough to promote the wisdom contained in every line of the Bhagavad Gita.
- In terms of this theme, if participants were exposed to the teachings contained within this scripture, a lot more family and human values will be inculcated in especially boys and respect for women because the entire Mahabharat is based on such incidents and corrective behaviour from a faith-based point of view, however this particular script like the Bible and Quran is universal in its teachings hence legislators globally are encouraged to read this scripture to make better life-changing decisions.
- As much as we separate Church from State, the MF appreciates the contribution made by this sectoral parliament, the Interfaith Symposium.
- Hon. members, Ghandiji stated that, “A man is but a product of his thoughts” so at future symposiums it is critical to distribute scripture across faiths for tolerance, awareness and moral regeneration.
- Thank you.
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Thu 25 May 2023
Time: 09:00 to 17:00
Word Count: 267 Words