- Hon. Premier, this violence started on 09th July yet the army was only on the ground yesterday. Politically, we have acted too late.
- The Minority Front is not surprised but is apprehensive that every time violence breaks out in KwaZulu-Natal, it ensues in communal violence against the Indian community. We are aware that communal violence however, is used as a distraction to other sinister developments.
- The Indian community has been subjected to the 1949 and 1985 Riots, now this. It is as an established fact that the trigger to this rioting is political.
- Is the number 27 prophetic?.
- Madiba said “It is so easy to breakdown and destroy. The heroes are those who make peace and build.” Today we thank all our community heroes. The Minority Front follows the policy of peaceful co-existence. We understand that Minority Rights are Human Rights and the Hon. Premier Zikalala and His Worship, Mayor Kaunda can attest to my pleas to them to intervene in the dangers our communities in Phoenix, Chatsworth, Cool Air and others have faced thus far. In Msunduzi, the Minority Front has interacted with the Deputy Mayor in matters affecting Northdale and Copesville. The Minority Front has called for the Army to come in, when we realised that SAPS could not eliminate the violence on the ground.
- Hon. Premier, I was not informed of the meeting with political leaders. Yesterday, I met community and political leaders in Newlands East who called for peace and calm. The Minority Front will speak to anyone who speaks “PEACE.”
- Hon. Premier, this crisis makes it imperative for the government to be transparent on the bigger demons of corruption and the political power crisis our country faces.
- Furthermore, the Minority Front can clearly state that the Indian community was taken by surprise when attacked and scrambled together to protect women, children and property. Lives were lost.
- The Minority Front apologises if any of the communities actions looked discriminatory but we are a community who have always fought for our survival from the days of the arrival of our ancestors, who were brought to the then Natal as slaves by the British to save the economy.
- Today if anything, South African Indians’ do their best to contribute towards South Africa’s development in all sectors and live in harmony with all communities.
- Hon. Premier, the Minority Front calls for continuous messages of calm in our communities by senior political leadership in all districts. The bottom line is to get hold of the ‘chaos causing Toolkit’, which will reveal who are the third forces behind this well-orchestrated anarchy in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Thank you
Hon. S. Thakur-Rajbansi
MPL: KZN Legislature
Minority Front Leader
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Thu 15 Jul 2021
Time: 10:00 to 13:00