- Hon. Speaker, The MF supports and views the General adjustments budget as a temporary postCOVID-19 blueprint, requiring continued close monitoring across all Portfolio Committees.
- A few strict guidelines must be pursued due to the unpredictability of the second wave.
- Hon. Speaker, Treasury officials have explained in detail the securing of special adjustments in affected response departments, however the MF recommends the following consistent measures and reports by November 2020 since most departments have not achieved targets in Quarter one, as follows :
- A COVID-19 Project Code budget running total, on a bi-monthly basis for all departments.
- COVID-19 budget resolutions on virements and shifts, where there’s reprioritisation and repurposing, not visible on budget tables.
- COE monthly reports on critical posts in Finance, SCM and M&E, with an Employment Equity performance and scarce skills analysis.
- Committee Workshops on revised APP’s, especially indicators and targets review, with focus on new COVID-19 indicators.
- A renewed effort to finalise the consolidation of departmental entities and commercialisation of bottlenecked activities to open up the economy.
- Departmental reports on BBBEE, co-operatives, PPP’s and Donors
- An anti-corruption report from all departments
- A report on the uniform goods and services pricing initiative from Provincial Treasury
- A report on contract strengthening initiatives across all departments
- The above is based on the MF’s firm inference from various budgetary hearings that there has been weak planning in some areas of COVID-19 disaster response.
- It is hoped these recommendations are taken up in the spirit dispensed, because Hon. Premier a KZN COVID-19 Policy Response must be drafted which has implications for political leaders and civil servants alike, bringing forth intentional and unintentional change, in opening up communication, conversation and dialogue to input from those we lead.
- Thank you.
Hon. S. Thakur-Rajbansi
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Wed 16 Sep 2020
Time: 14:00 to 16:00