- Hon.MEC, Ravi Pillay, the Minority Front supports the second Adjustments Appropriation Bill 2020.
- The departments of Education and Human Settlements must be commended for obtaining the allocation of conditional grants of R100, as well as R98, 5 million rands, respectively.
- Hon.members, any department that loses conditional grants is a travesty for our service-delivery hungry citizens. However, the above departments have showed the ability to plan and monitor infrastructure activity. Infrastructure is easy to see therefore we cannot miss under or or good performance. There are still conditional grants that regularly go under-spent. Hon.MEC, the terms of reference should be expanded for these grants to meet current developments, eg: the HIV/AIDS grant is given different departments. In Health, we should consider including other associated infections for flexibility of use. Hospital healthcare-associated infections and staff safety is also of concern and this cost should be factored in, especially during quarantine phases, staff shortages will occur. Therefore, all portfolio-committees should workshop every under-performing conditional grant, even in Agriculture to resolve bottle-necks.
- These provincial allocations in the second adjustments appropriation also shows that we do have dedicated officials, who should be rewarded for utilising good implementation processes.
- To the departments’ of Education and Human Settlements, well done in shaping the departments resources effectively, displaying: capability, capacity, potential and contribution. These Hon.MEC are the 4 pillars of implementation theory that all departments should be using in risk management.
- The Minority Front supports the Second Adjustments Appropriation Bill 2020.
- Thank you
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Fri 6 Mar 2020
Time: 10:00 to 13:00
Word Count: 252 Words