- Hon.Speaker and Chair of Finance, the Division of Revenue Bill for the 2020/2021 year will be an interesting piece of financial legislation.
- The fact that 2020 started with the COVID 19 crises; this has a direct impact on Provincial responsibilities and we need to continuously heighten our oversight role.
- Therefore, the MF in every portfolio committee where represented has asked for separate cash-flows for COVID-19 activities and for ‘savings’ as such i.e for spendings not persued due to lockdown restrictions.
- Furthermore, as Hon. MPL’s we must be cognisant that National has requested budget returns from Provinces. We do not know how much of this R111,4 billion equitable share will be returned. This affects various departments’ baselines, hence service delivery. Therefore, we must do our best to prevent citizen’s hardships and invest in different I.T methods to allow citizens to interact with the Legislature.
- I take this opportunity to thank all our essential workers for their dedication to protect of our communities in these trying times.
- The Minority Front supports the Division of Revenue Bill [B3-2020] in its current form, as we will track budget processes until the adjustment appropriations later this year, based on the ratifications of this external shock.
- Thank you.
Hon. S. Thakur- Rajbansi
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Tue 26 May 2020
Word Count: 209 Words