- Hon. MEC, thank you for increased visible policing on our roads.
- Similarly, it is possible to increase civilian oversight. Hon. MEC, there is a low grade civil war out in our cities and communities
- The Minority Front agrees that Gun Control has to be there because our policies and Law allows criminals a free hand with rights afforded to them whereas as the victims are highly regulated as to they can shoot in self- defence.
- Therefore instead of the Hon. National MEC controlling civilians who are the victims, let there be a public participation process started for community input on their rights, if we don’t currently have adequate civilian oversight.
- Hon. MEC, together with the Hon. MEC of COGTA, please address why the metro-police cannot be seen. Police on horse-back may be adequate for the cities but the suburbs need motorcycles if vans and cars are limited. This budget must reflect allocations for these,
- Hon. MEC, the National department HOD must be invited to the portfolio committee to discuss infrastructure matters. We need smaller police-stations e.g.: the previous police-station in Reservoir Hills must be reopened. This area is rife with land invasions daily and cases of attempted abductions are increasing in this area.
- Police training facilities must be visited in the next 6 months. As MP’s we should check the type of training given and selection process, since there are Facebook groups which are exposing rampant corruption in the process.
- Hon. Premier, South Africa is a unitary state and federalism may not be ANC policy but our borders need control from criminal elements, therefore we must iniate a border safety programme because drugs and violence is being imported.
- Finally, the EPWP grant must include payments to CPF members and include community neighbourhood and safety unit formations who are brave, committed civilians, doing the work of the police. Please consider registering these formations with the department. This can be part of the district crime prevention plan.
- The Minority Front supports this Safety and Security budget.
- Thank you.
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Tue 16 Jul 2019
Time: 09:00 to 18:00
Word Count: 347 Words